Saturday, June 9, 2012

DIY MRE

The MRE or Meal Ready to Eat Has been the go to combat ration since 1975 for the US military.  Each MRE provides an average of 1250 calories(13% protien, 36% fat and 51% carbohydrates) and 1/3 of the military recommended daily allowance of vitamins and minerals. A full days worth of meals would require three MREs. (I got this information here MRE INFO)  Bulk alone in my opinion makes them a poor choice for a 72 hour bug out bag. Nine MREs will take up a huge portion of your bag.  Another consideration is cost. A quick google search shows a case going for $83 plus shipping on Amazon.  If you were to purchase this case of MREs each has a price tag of $6.92,  three of them total $20.75 and a 72 hour supply would run you $62.75.

Putting together your own MRE will save you both money and valuable bag space. Making your own MRE is as simple as gathering what you want for a days worth of food and stuffing it in a bag. I used a vacuum sealer for mine.  Every item in the one we will be working with here is prepackaged for both expediency and simplicity. The drink mixes, sniffle pack(pills), tea bag, condiment packages and bullion cubes I scrounged around the pantry for so they will not show up in the final cost we will talk about in a bit. I purchased all of the rest of the food at discount grocery stores for very reasonable prices.


Here is what I put in one. It contains 3 meals plus snacks. 
             
The finished package measures 9"x7" and is 2 1/2" thick


Three day supply stacked on end all  three of these MREs are identical with the exception of small differences in the package shape and dimensions
Contents:

Breakfast
Instant oatmeal packet x2
Jiff to go peanut butter 1.5 oz
Powerbar Harvest energy Double chocolate twist

Snack
Snickers bar
Emerald almond pack
Jiff to go peanut butter 1.5 oz

Lunch
Starkist salmon creations pack
Ramen noodles
Ritz Crackerfuls 

Snack
Powerbar Performance Energy Peanut  Butter Flavor
Chicken of the Sea Sardines 
Almond packet

Dinner
Old el paso tortila stuffers carne asada steak
Jack links beef & cheddar

Misc


Bullion Cubes  These cubes make a tasty broth all by themselves but they really shine if you're fortunate enough to forage edible plants or harvest game and make a stew.

PLEASE DON'T DO NOT EAT A WILD PLANT  UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, IT  CAN KILL YOU!!!
Oinion     x2
Cilantro   x1
Chicken  x1
Tomato   x1


Condiment packages:
Ketchup x1
sugar      x4
salsa       x2
honey     x2
Single serve drink mix x4

Sniffle Pack 
zip lock bag  x1
Tylenol x2
Excedrin x2
Benadril x2
Tums extra strengh x6
Daily Multi vitamin x 1

Now that we have our MRE ready to go lets talk about cost and nutrition.

 MRE Nutrition I will be referring to this spread sheet I made up.


COST

Like I said before to keep the cost of these mres down I did my shopping at discount stores. This dictated a lot of the contents as I was looking to make these as cheap as possible. You can look on the spread sheet I linked for a cost breakdown per item. I came up with a cost of $6.43 per MRE. A three day supply totals at $19.29! That is less than the cost of a single days worth of the commercial MREs.

Calorie Content and Nutrition


Again referring to the spread sheet we can see the the breakdown of individual food items.


Calories: % Formula Key
TC Total calories
Total: 3130 F Grams of fat
Calories From Fat: 39.97% Cb Grams of carbs
Calories From Carbs: 44.60% P Grams of Protien
Calories From Protein: 4.54% S Grams of sugar
Calories From Sugars: 3.64%


To figure out the percentages you need to know that fat equals nine calories per gram.
multiply the total grams of fat by nine then divide that number by the total calories of the MRE multiply that number by 100 and you get the percentage.


F x 9 / TC x 100 = % calories from fat 139 x9 /3130 x100 = 39.97


Protein,Carbohydrates and sugars all equal 4 calories per gram so you can simply plug in those numbers intothe same formula to derive their percentage.







  • If you add up the above percentages they don't come out to 100% I'm not sure where the missing 8.25% is but I believe this is close enough
  • One very alarming statistic came to light as I was gathering the data from the nutritional information on the item packaging. This MRE contains an astronomical 6640 MG of sodium. This to say the least is not good.
  • The contents of these mres were bought at discount stores most of the items are either close to or already beyond the pull date so in theory the shelf life is much shorter 
  • Protein seems a bit low to me but I have not yet looked at the RDA so I am not positive it actually is 

When its all said and done I have enjoyed making these and I feel some sense of accomplishment in having at least a small part of my BOB complete. These MREs are not the most healthy or nutritious meals a person could put together but they are certainly better than nothing. In the future I will be working on improving them. Home made meals dried in a food dryer comes to mind both to reduce the sodium content and overall weight of the package.

This has been a great project and along the way I managed to learn a thing or two I hope you have as well thanks for reading.












6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I just found the world of DIY MREs. It feels almost like a 'duh-huh' moment. This post is so informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your way to enlighten everything on this blog is actually pleasant, everyone manage to efficiently be familiar with it, Thanks a great deal. X MRE Meals

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the magnificent outlook, in any case is simply not make each sence at all proclaiming about that mather. For all intents and purposes any strategy an abundance of thanks notwithstanding i had attempt to advance your own particular article into delicius by and by it is evidently a problem utilizing your data destinations would you be able to please recheck the thought. much obliged again. MRE Giant

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an enlightening post and it is exceptionally valuable and proficient. along these lines, I might want to thank you for the endeavors you have made in composing this article. http://www.eversafemres.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt extremely upbeat while perusing this site. This was truly exceptionally useful site for me. I truly enjoyed it. This was truly a warm post. Much obliged!. XMRE Meals

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so extremely helpful! Thank you for braking it down so thoroughly. I have a sealer AND a dehydrator so I am equipped and ready. Just need to buy the groceries. I DO have a question, regarding dehydrating, though. If you were to buy canned meat, weigh it per serving, and seal it separately, do you think that would work for the dinner protein? Just curious. Let me know, would you?

    ReplyDelete